A little while back I had to create a solution to colour code a 2010 calendar to be used for internal scheduling here at bluesource… so I thought I’d share it with you chaps..!
The idea behind it is that a list can be used to manage unique keys against colour values. For instance, say a single calendar is used to book all projects. Each project has a unique number, and you wanted those to be automatically colour-coded (without having to use calendar overlays). This solution allows you to specify a key against a colour value – eg ‘Whichever calendar entry has [1234AABB] in the title of the entry, I want to be blue (#000066)’ .
Download the WSP Here: bluesource.intranet.zip
Please Note: bluesource does not accept any liability for this solution, it is the work of myself only – and as any custom solution, should be installed on development systems first.
It comprises of 2 pieces:
- A list definition – A list will need to be created from the definition. Unique keys and colour values are entered into the list (in the same site collection as the calendar).
- Deploy the WSP, and activate the Bluesource.Intranet.CalendarColours feature in Site Collection Features.
- Create a new list from the ‘CalendarColours’ list definition.
- Enter your values in the list (shown below):
- Title: The unique key to look for the calendar title
- Background Hex Value: Hex colour value to make item background
- Text Hex Value: Hex colour value for text
- Add the Calendar Colour Coding web part to the calendar page:
- Enter your calendar entries, using the unique keys – and voila:
Hope this helps – if people want the source code leave me a comment…