I’ve recently been working on something in my evenings and weekends that I wanted to make available to the community – Mail2SharePoint.
(more information, downloads, screen shots, source code and updates on the CodePlex project site – http://mail2sharepoint.codeplex.com)
As the name suggests, it provides a way to upload and archive email from Outlook into SharePoint.
Mail2SharePoint Client (Outlook 2007 Add-in)
- This works as an Outlook 2007 Add-in, adding a right click action on emails, “Send to SharePoint”.
- When you click ‘Send to SharePoint’, a tree view navigator pops up and you navigate to the site and library you want to store the email in.
- Only Mail2SharePoint libraries will be available in the tree view navigator
- When the emails are saved into SharePoint, the .MSG file is uploaded to the library, and all the custom properties are uploaded as SharePoint meta-data. (Including To, CC, Subject, From, Date Sent, Body…)
All you need to do is install the Add-in and enter the SharePoint site collection addresses you wish to use (Under Tools –> Options –> Mail2SharePoint) in Outlook.
Mail2SharePoint Server (SharePoint 2007 WSP)
The server part of the project will add the Mail2SharePoint content types, document libraries, and the Email Viewer Web Part. Upload the activate the WSP to a web application in the usual way, and activate it to a Site Collection.
- To create a Mail2SharePoint library, create a library in the normal way, selecting the “M2S Email Library” template. This will create the library with the correct content types automatically
- Then drop the Mail2SharePoint Email Viewer Web Part onto the page, and in the properties of the web part, enter the name of the library in the site which hosts the emails.
Please go and take a look at the codeplex site – http://mail2sharepoint.codeplex.com – for downloads, screen shots and source code.